Lightspeed is among several effective, cloud reason for purchase (POS) systems to emerge recently. This web-based POS technology enables promising small to medium companies within the retail and restaurant industries to simply accept payments in their brick-and-mortar stores with only a couple of lightweight items, along with a similarly light monthly subscription cost.
Montreal-based Lightspeed released its first POS product, the in your area installed POS Onsite, in 2005. In This summer 2013, LS branched into cloud POS using the discharge of Lightspeed Retail, a browser-based POS that retailers can run from the Mac, PC, or iPad. Lightspeed Restaurant arrived on the scene annually later you are able to operate this cloud POS with an iPad, iPhone, or ipod device Touch.
Using more than 34,000 Lightspeed installations being used, this solutionÂ is famous part since it is a âmiddle-of-the-roadâ productâit doesnât have as numerous functions like a more costly iPad POS for example Revel, butÂ itÂ offers much more functionality than the usual very fundamental mobile POS like Square. LS Retail, with packages beginning at $76/month if billed yearly, includes multi-tender support, work order and buy order management, inventory management, CRM, and multi-store functionality LS Restaurant, which starts at $59/month (should you commit for any year), adds menu management along with a floor planner.
Lightspeed is really a goodÂ POS, but itâs wrong for each business. Some retailers may want a less expensive POS, a treadmill that gives more features. For instance, Restaurant doesnât possess a reservation management tool or e-mail marketing integration. Other retailers may need a POS with increased payment processing options (Retail users in america are restricted to Mercury and Cayan for payment processing Restaurant users may also use Bridgepay). Lightspeed also doesnât possess the best status within the regions of reliability and customer care theyÂ had some server outages this past year for any period lasting several several weeks, and customers report longer-than-average wait occasions for support.
So, if for reasons uknown Lightspeed doesnât meet your businessâs needs, here are a few worthy POS competitors. Like Lightspeed, many of these POSâs are modern, tablet-based software services that are simple to start selling with.
Revel Systems is really a powerhouse of the iPad POS system, ideal for medium to large companies. Est. 2010 in Bay Area, Revel is continuing to grow to get probably the most popular and powerful iPad POSâs in a couple of short years. A couple of key figures for you personally: Revel supports accumulated to 500,000 SKUs, has greater than 20,000 active terminals presently being used, and it has received greater than $115 million in investment capital funding.
Revel is much more pricey than Lightspeed on the per-register basis (Revel starts around $119 monthly), but Revelâs cost tag is-inclusive, while Lightspeed charges extra for further users and printers, and advanced reporting.
How’s Revel much better than Lightspeed?
- Supports large, chain companies, whereas Lightspeed is much better suited to companies within the 1-7 register range.
- More extensive set of features allowsÂ forÂ use by almost any kind of business. For instance, Revel includes appointment scheduling, that is essential for service-based companies.
- More hardware integrationsâincluding digital menu boards, kitchen display systems, self-service kiosks, and proprietary ethernet connections for iPads.
- More customizable than Lightspeed.
- More third-party integrationsâincluding QuickBooks, Xero, MailChimp, PayPal, and BitCoin.
ShopKeep is really a favorite iPad POS among small companies within the quick-service food and retail boutique groups. Established this year, Shopkeep is reasonable for small companies and offers great customer support. This POS doesnât include each and every POS feature imaginable, however if you simply donât need advanced features like purchase order management or table layouts, ShopKeep might be a less expensive choice than Lightspeed, and perhaps a more reliable choice too, because of Shopkeepâs top-notch customer care as well as in-house payment processing.
Besides fundamental POS functionality, Shopkeep offers some helpful back-finish features, including fundamental inventory and raw component management, tableside ordering, gift certificates, loyalty program integration, customer management, mobile payments, worker management, and much more.
How’s Shopkeep much better than Lightspeed?
- Less expensive for small stores. ShopKeep charges $59/month/sign up for all features versus. $89/mo ($76/mo if billed yearly) for LS Retail ShopKeep charges same cost for 1 register as LS restaurant if LS is billed yearly, but when compared with LSâs month-to-month prices, Shopkeep cost less ($59/month versus $69/month).
- ProvidesÂ some important integrations LS Restaurant doesn’t haveÂ (QuickBooks and MailChimp).
- In-house payment processing simplifies support issues. Additionally to integrating with lots of outdoors payment processors, including Mercury Payment Systems and Moneris Solutions, ShopKeep also provides its very own highly-rated ShopKeep Payments.
- Provides better customer care, overall.
- BBB-accredited business by having an A+ rating (Lightspeed isn’t listed using the BBB).
Clover Station is really a unique, all-in-one POS, among the newest systems available, and probably the most great looking, too, using its sleek, minimalistic hardware setup. This three-year-old cloud POS operates within different business design than Lightspeed or another POSâs about this list Clover uses its very own proprietary hardware (i.e., no iPad or Android tablet) and it is always offered plus a credit card merchant account. Just like Lightspeed, Clover isn’t for everybody, however, many companies appreciate its application-based customizability, and the simplicity obtaining a complete POS package and credit card merchant account from one source.
How’s Clover much better than Lightspeed?
- Proprietary hardware makes Clover invulnerable to inconvenient and often destabilizing iOS updates.
- Bigger touchscreen register interface.
- All-in-one systemâeven has a credit card merchant account.
- Adapts to almost any industry, including service-based.
- Provides more integrations and greater functionality through its application storeâincluding customer management and e-mail marketing.
- No monthly fee (apart from payment processing charges).
Launched in 2013, Bindo is definitely an iPad POS that caters particularly to small, mother-and-pop stores, helping them contend with large online stores. Bindo POS enables store proprietors to concurrently manage their offline and online inventory, which makes it an excellent POS option for companies who manage a brick-and-mortar store but should also sell online. Besides POS, eCommerce, and advanced inventory management functionality, there is also CRM, invoicing, purchase order management, worker management together with your Bindo subscription.
Bindo prices is mainly in line with the quantity of SKU figures you anticipate to needâlow-finish retailers with 50 SKUs or fewer might pay $59-80/month, while bigger stores might pay $150/month.
How’s Bindo much better than Lightspeed?
- Free/incorporated eCommerce integration. Note that you could setup a built-in online shop with Lightspeed, but do it yourself another $75 to $100/month.
- Lower prices than Lightspeed Retail for smaller sized companies.
- More complex inventory management (including online inventory).
- More payment processing options than Lightspeed. Begin to see the extended listing of compatible payment processors within our Bindo review.
This 5-year-old restaurant POS is exclusive in that it’s in your area installed, meaning your computer data is stored on your iPad or computer, instead of the cloud. Branded because the âThe #1 iPad Reason for Purchase (POS) for Restaurants,â TouchBistro can also be utilized by bars, cafes, and other kinds of single-location eateries. Additionally to POS functions, TouchBistro handles such things as seating and table assignments, menu management, wireless change in orders towards the kitchen, tableside payments, and daily sales reports.
For that Standard (single register) TouchBistro subscription, you manage your whole restaurant directly from one iPad. For those who have several iPad registers, you have to run the professional Server Application on the Mac Small, that will behave as a nearby server. Prices starts at $69/month.
How’s TouchBistro much better than Lightspeed?
- In your area installed POS system. Ensures secure, personal information storage and doesn’t require Wireless or Internet to function POS and access data.
- Choice of emailing receipts.
- Reservation management feature.
- Suitable for more payment processors than LS: Mercury, Moneris, Cayan, Premier Payments, Smooth Pay, PayPal. Bear in mind that although TouchBistro POS doesn’t require Internet connectivity, youâll still Internet for that payment gateway.
Shopifyâs eCommerce services have been in existence for more than ten years, but Shopify POS is really a newer offering (introduced in 2013), produced particularly for promising small to medium retail companies. This is a great iPad POS to make use of should you already sell online with Shopify, since Shopify POS syncs seamlessly together with your Shopify online shop.
Shopify POS is among the least expensive, scaleable, and simple to use POSâs, and itâs not missing features, either. Utilize it to simply manage in-store an internet-based inventory, export reports, create gift certificates, manage customers, and much more. Furthermore, the Shopify mobile application makes it simple to market at occasions like fairs, markets, and pop-ups.
How’s Shopify POS much better than Lightspeed?
- Limitless devices/registers, even for the most part fundamental plan.
- Less expensive–packages start at just $9/month.
- Free card readers whenever you open your bank account.
- In-house payment processing with Shopify Payments (charge card rates rely on which plan you select).
- Shopify Mobile application enables you to sell on the run together with your iPhone or Android phone. Observe that Lightspeed comes with an apple iphone application (Lightspeed Dashboard) however, you are only able to view store data, not sell by using it.
- Seamless integration together with your Shopify online shop. Get both POS an internet-based store beginning at $29/month.
- Showcase then sell your product or service in your Facebook page (despite $9/month plan).
Which LightspeedÂ Alternative to select?
Hereâs a fast and dirty review of the greatest options to Lightspeed POS:
- Revel â Customizable iPad POS for medium and enormous companies in almost any industry.
- Clover â All-in-one cloud POS for SMB in almost any industry offered with credit card merchant account.
- ShopKeep â Affordable iPad POS for small companies in retail and quick service.
- Bindo â Retail-centric iPad POS with integrated online shop, advanced inventory management.
- TouchBistro â In your area-installed iPad POS for single-location restaurants.
- Shopify POS â Scaleable retail-centric iPad POS with eCommerce and mobile sales.
I really hope this lengthyÂ roundupÂ provided you with a decent concept of what POS choices are available if you wish to use tablet-based reason for purchase software but aren’t interested inÂ Lightspeed POS. Again, Lightspeed POS is way from aÂ “P.O.S.” (ha ha)Â but because not one software system can meet the requirements of each and every business, itâs good toÂ have options. Many of these Lightspeed alternativesÂ offer free trials through their official websites (I believe Clover may be the only exception), so make certain you attempt out a couple of POS systems before you decide to choose one. All you actually need is definitely an iPad!
The publish The Very Best Options to Lightspeed POS made an appearance first on Merchant Maverick.